Choosing the right dog harness is crucial for your furry friend's safety, comfort and proper control during walks, minimising the risk of injuries or escape while allowing for enjoyable and stress-free outings for both the dog and the owner.
Before we delve into the importance of selecting a comfortable and safe dog harness, we must first stress the importance of never leaving your dog, and especially your puppy unattended whilst wearing a collar or harness. Leaving a dog unattended with a harness or collar poses risks, including entanglement, strangulation, and accidental hanging. Always supervise dogs and remove their collar or harness when in a safe, enclosed environment to ensure their safety and prevent accidents.
Why is a dog harness better than a collar?
Collars are great for always ensuring your dog or puppy is able to wear an identification tag, but a dog harness is a superior alternative to a collar. A Dog harness distributes the force and pressure across the chest and back, reducing strain and potential injuries, unlike collars that put pressure on the neck and trachea which can be seriously harmful.
Can you wear a dog harness as well as a collar?
Of course! A harness should always sit lower on the neck meaning there is space around the neck where a collar would usually sit. The collar will not impact on the function of the harness.
Why are buckle collars bad?
Buckle collars are not designed with safety features such as quick-release mechanisms, making them a risk in situations where a dog may become entangled or trapped. This can lead to panic and potentially serious injuries. Furthermore, buckle collars may not provide sufficient control for dogs that tend to pull or have behavioural issues. For these dogs, harnesses or specialised collars are more suitable. When it comes to our pets' well-being, it's important to prioritise their comfort, safety, and overall welfare, which is why buckle collars may not be the best choice for our beloved furry friends.
What is a Quick-release collar and why are they best?
Quick-release collars are crucial for the safety of our pets, providing a vital feature to prevent choking or strangulation. These collars have a special mechanism that allows them to easily detach, ensuring the well-being of our furry companions. They are particularly important during outdoor activities, preventing collar-related accidents and keeping our dogs safe during exploration. Quick-release collars are ideal for active dogs and those in training, as they allow quick release in unexpected situations. Whether it's durable dog leads, fashionable accessories, or comfortable and stylish dog harnesses, ensuring the use of quick-release collars is an essential part of responsible pet ownership. With these collars, we can enjoy peace of mind knowing that our dogs can roam freely and safely, while also adding a touch of trendiness with personalised and reflective options. Trustworthy and high-quality quick-release collars are an indispensable accessory for our furry friends, providing them with the utmost comfort, safety, and style during their pawsome adventures. Check out our range of quick-release adjustable collars in sizes S and Medium.
What type of harness is best for my dog or puppy?
We always advise you to look for a Y-shaped harness. This shape of harness allows your puppy or dog full shoulder movement so they can run around and explore. Harnesses that go over any shoulder joints will restrict movement and can cause injury and discomfort. A Y-shaped harness will keep your dog's windpipe and trachea clear from strain.
Finding a well made harness that can adjust at the neck and the chest will ensure both a comfortable and safe fit. Look for a fully adjustable harness that can be tailored to your dog’s shape, size and training needs. We have a range of fully adjustable harnesses that cater to breeds XXS - Large.
My puppy will just grow out of a harness?
In the same way you would not buy a car seat that is an unsuitable size for a baby/toddler; a dog harness is the same principle; it needs to fit now in order to be safe. Buying an ill fitting harness for any dog or growing puppy will not give you full control or be comfortable for the dog. It is your responsibility and the law to ensure when out on walks you have full control over your dog at all times.
An adjustable harness will give you flexibility for growth whilst maintaining a secure fit, but if they grow out of it you can always resell to another puppy or donate to a local charity or home.
Will the harness make my dog pull?
A harness will not cause your dog to use pulling behaviour. Dogs tend to pull when they are untrained and/or want to explore something that has intrigued or stimulated them. Walkies are all for sniffing and exploring but they should be always at your lead with you remaining in control at all times.
Shall I use an anti-pull harness?
I hate to break the news people, but no harness will ever stop your dog from pulling. Harnesses marketed as ‘anti’-pull’ does not mean they will stop your dog from pulling.
How do I stop my dog from pulling?
Positive training is the only effective way to reduce your dog from wanting to pull. Regular walks, regular training and positive reinforcement is the most effective and fastest way to stop your dog from pulling. Here are 8 Quick Steps To Stop Your Dog From Pulling On The Lead.
Factors to Consider in Choosing a safe and comfortable Dog Harness:
When selecting a dog harness, there are several key factors to keep in mind to ensure your dog's comfort:
- Fit: Taking proper measurements and selecting the right size is essential. Refer to our sizing guide to ensure an accurate fit for your dog.
- Material: Our harnesses are crafted from high-quality, comfortable materials that are gentle on your dog's skin and coat.
- Tried & Tested: Look for a good quality dog harness you can trust that has been formally product tested to meet quality standards. Read trusted and verified purchase reviews before purchasing.
- Design: Our harnesses feature soft padding, adjustable straps, and secure fastenings for a comfortable and secure fit, allowing your dog to move naturally.
Ensuring Safety with a Dog Harness:
Safety is paramount when it comes to choosing a dog harness. Our harnesses prioritise safety with the following features:
- Durability and Strength: Our harnesses are designed to withstand pulling and sudden movements, providing both comfort and security. Our harnesses have been tensile tested by a UKAS Accredited Laboratory to ensure they meet EU and UK standards.
- Secure Attachment Points: Our harnesses feature sturdy attachment points and quick-release buckles, keeping your dog secure during walks and preventing accidental escapes.
- Two D-ring attachments: Front and back D-ring lead attachments allow you flexibility during training or preference to your dogs walking needs.
Tips for Proper Harness Usage and Adjustment:
To maximise your dog's comfort and safety, follow these guidelines when using a dog harness:
- Putting on the Harness: Guide your dog's head through the designated opening, bring the chest strap behind the front legs and secure the buckle. Once secure, adjust the straps for a snug fit without being too tight, look for a two-finger gap.
- Positioning: Ensure the harness sits comfortably across your dog's chest and back, avoiding any rubbing or chafing. Look behind the front legs you should be able to fit two fingers.
- Proper Fit: Regularly check and adjust the harness to maintain a secure and comfortable fit as your dog grows or changes shape.
- Maintenance: Always check for wear and tear before use. Regularly clean your harness to ensure no dirt is trapped inside buckles or can cause irritation inside the harness.
Wyld Cub Dog Harness Customer Testimonials and Reviews:
We use Feefo as our trusted review service provider as only verified purchases can write reviews on our products. We have recently been awarded the 2023 Feefo Gold Trusted Service Award for retaining 5 stars on our dog harnesses and customer service.
Our customers rave about the comfort and safety of our dog harnesses. Here's what some of them have to say:
"Wyld Cub's dog harness is a game-changer! Our pup walks with ease and comfort, and we feel confident in its secure design." - Jane S.
"I love how the harness fits my dog perfectly and ensures her safety during our outdoor adventures. Highly recommended!" - Mark D.
Choosing a comfortable and safe dog harness is vital for your dog's well-being. Opt for a high-quality harness that prioritises comfort, proper fit, and safety features like reflective elements and secure attachment points. At Wyld Cub, we are committed to providing dog harnesses that combine functionality, comfort, and style, ensuring your furry friend's utmost comfort and safety during every adventure.